Wednesday, May 10, 2017

May / June 2017

Dear Oliver,

I can't believe there are only a couple of weeks left of school before summer and then you will be a second grader! Time is going by so quickly. 

Such a cute kid! 7 years old March 2017

Things have been pretty challenging this year. You have a lot of strong emotions that are difficult to control. It's difficult to see you so upset and hurting so consistently. You get very angry and frustrated, especially at me. This year we have seen several professionals. You are currently in group therapy with some other kids your age, and you seem to enjoy it. Weekly topics include things like understanding others' feelings, controlling emotions, speaking kindly, etc. I am trying so hard to help you but feel like I fall short a lot. You get really upset at me and say things I know you don't mean. Almost daily. ("I know you're in my heart but I feel like I don't love you." "I didn't even miss you that much when I was on the campout.") Tonight as I tucked you into bed, you sat up on your knees and said, "I'm sorry" and gave me a hug. The other night, you yelled at me that you hate me and that I'm the worst mom ever. The next morning, you said, "Sorry I yelled at you. I just lost my mind." Sometimes there is contention between us and things are hard but I hope you know I love you so much and would do anything for you. I see so many strengths in you: you are caring, sensitive, smart, thoughtful (you often get something extra for Josh when you get something for yourself), you love to draw, you are social and friendly, you are kind to animals, outgoing and fun, your go-to in times of distress is to pray for help.

June:

Josh said his legs hurt. I told him it could be growing pains. Then you said, "Maybe that's why my tummy hurts a lot. It's growing and makes my appetite hurt." (I feel badly that you get stomach aches a lot. I think it's anxiety related. Poor kid.)

Pictures from Easter a few weeks ago:

Pictures from Easter: 





You shaved your head yourself, unknown to us, to "be like Daddy." 


Keeping it real. :)



I love you Buddy!

Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment