Saturday, June 8, 2019

Lately

Dear Oliver,

Such a handsome kid. 

It's been too long since I've shared my thoughts with you. Time goes by so quickly, it's difficult to keep up. I know it probably doesn't seem that way when you're a kid but for grown ups, time flies by. This year especially, the school year went by so fast and I can't believe we're already a few weeks into summer.

I have seen so much growth and progress in you lately. So much maturity and spiritual development. You are also learning how to control your emotions more and I think you are gaining more confidence. Sometimes things still get rough. There are ups and downs. But you recover more quickly and the meltdowns where you seem to feel out of control are fewer and further between. Dad and I talk a lot about how far you've come and what a great kid you are.

A few things of note lately:
  • One night a couple of months ago we left you guys with some babysitters (two sisters who stayed with you) and you didn't care for them much. You seemed to but heads with them and felt frustrated and upset. When I came home and checked on you, I noticed  on the shelf in your room. I wish I had taken a picture of it but basically you wrote out all of your feelings about the babysitters and why you felt the way you did. I have to say, it was a proud moment for me to see that you had written out your feelings. That is such a healthy way to process them.
  • Lately you love using the words "literally" and "physically." "I was literally just saying that." "That is physically right over there." 
  • This quote was from a few months ago after Dad got back from a business trip. He was asleep. You said, "I don't want to wake him. I just want to feel his spirit."
  • A couple of months ago, you said of Nathan and Zach, "I just love how they talk. They're professional babies." 
  • You told Grandma Utah you want to teach people how to be healthy when they grow up for your job. #proudparentingmoment 
  • You said a super sweet prayer on Mother's Day that left me amazed. You said, "I'm thankful for my mom who gave us life an for all she does for us and for Mother's Day to celebrate her." Wow! You are an amazing kid, Buddy. 
  • A while back, you prayed for Brody, a boy who is a bully at school, that he will be kind and happy. You did this, like Enos prayed for his enemies. I was really proud of you for praying for him. That's not an easy thing to do.
  • Every day I challenge you and Josh to do "three kind things." I think you guys get sick of me saying it but I hope it is getting imprinted in your minds. Kindness is one of the best gifts we can give others.
  • When you prayed on the night of General Conference, you said, "Please help us to build mighty fortresses around us to protect us." What an amazing prayer from a 9-year-old boy!
A couple of things I've heard recently on podcasts that have resonated with me and I want to share: 
  • "At critical moments in our lives, we will hear multiple voices competing for our attention." I agree with this. My mission comes to mind. When I was in the MTC (Missionary Training Center), I felt peaceful and right about my decision to serve a mission but then there was this very real opposition that was constant and would not relent. The adversary forcefully put negative words into my mind (even terrible words when I was in the temple, that I could not get out of my mind), images when I closed my eyes, and thoughts of fear about my sister dying before I came home if I served a mission. I powered through all of it with prayer, study, faith and determination and my mission was truly one of the greatest blessings of my life. I am continually grateful for that opportunity. 
  • "You will get out of it what you put into it." This is true for everything in life. If you put in your best effort, you will reap those rewards. If you give a half-hearted attempt, you will likely not get much out of it. This goes for your education (learning by turning in homework you worked hard on vs. homework you flew through without really processing), your spiritual education, your relationships, etc. 
These are a few of my thoughts lately. I love you and I'm proud of you and the young man you're becoming. 

Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment