Sunday, August 14, 2016

To the one like me...

My wonderful, determined, smart, happy, charismatic, energetic, creative, outgoing, faith-filled sensitive boy...you and I, we don't always get along as well as I would like. We are both "strong-willed," which I like to call determined, in our ideas and desires. Sometimes we both struggle with patience. We honestly butt heads a lot due to this. Today you lied to me (twice), which is frustrating since we've talked a lot about it lately. I didn't let you play outside for a while afterward, on account of the lying, and you were pretty upset about it. You told me you hate being around me and then slammed the baby gate and some doors. You later told me you wish you had a stepmom. I don't think you meant it in a hurtful way but it did sting a little. Tonight as I tucked you into bed, you told me you were sorry for being rude and disrespectful today. That is another thing we have in common, sweet boy. We always say we're sorry. You put your arms around my neck and told me you want me to stay close to you. I told you I thought you hated being around me. You told me you didn't mean to say that, which of course I know you didn't. I told you I'm going to Utah tomorrow on an airplane with Joshua and Eleanor and you and Daddy will drive there to meet us in a few days (for you cousin, Cassidy's wedding). Your eyes filled with tears as you told me you don't want me to go and you will miss me. I know you love me and I certainly love you so much. The days can definitely be difficult but I am so very grateful you're my boy. I hope you know that. I am trying to teach you about respect, responsibility, patience, faith, kindness, as well as the educational things you need to know. I'm helping you with piano lessons and reading and adding in some play time for chasing and tickling. Sometimes we both get frustrated and lose our patience. Sometimes we need our space. But I'm grateful you're ours, buddy. I feel incredibly blessed.

A couple of weeks ago you started first grade. It's hard to believe in some ways. I love your happy, confident smile. You are enjoying school, including getting back to schedules and routines. You're growing up, little friend. You have so many wonderful things ahead of you. I'm so excited for your future!

I love you,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment